Sunday, February 24, 2008

O' Holy Night

Tonight, for me, is the holiest night of the year--The Oscars. With the writers strike and O I have not been as pumped about the ceremony as I usually am. But, realizing that today's was O's first Oscar ceremony, I felt the need demonstrate the importance of the event and get back in the game. So, O and spent the afternoon kibitzing about the nominees and have marked our ballot. Orly and I have made our picks based on we think will win, not necessarily who should win

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLL:
Winner: Daniel Day Lewis, THERE WILL BE BLOOD
I haven't seen THERE WILL BE BLOOD but I hear good things. However, the people love their Clooney and he was great in MICHAEL CLAYTON. The dark horse, I suppose, is seven-time nominee Johnny Depp (and my sentimental fave) for SWEENEY TODD.

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLL:
Winner: Julie Christie, AWAY FROM HER.
The critics love Christie and there is no real commercial choice. Ellen Page is too young to win in this category and I don't think not enough people saw LA VIE EN ROSE. Marie Cotillard could pull it out. I hope not.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLL:
Winner: Javier Bardeem, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
Bardeem was fantastic and has the momentum going into tonight. The only possible spoiler is Hal Holbrook, INTO THE WILD, who could pick up the Jack Palance Oscar

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLL
Winner: Cate Blanchett, I AM NOT THERE
Cate Blanchett was awesome in this Dylan fantasia and will not win for ELIZABETH. Also, a vote for Blanchett in this role is a vote for her cast mate Heath Ledger. The only possible spoiler is Ruby Dee for AMERICAN GANGSTER. Like Holbrook she could also claim the Jack Palance Oscar tonight.

WRITING, ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Winner: Juno
This is the one big award that this year's LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE will win.

WRITING, ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
WINNER: PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON THERE WILL BE BLOOD
Like in the directing category this is a toss up between Paul Thomas Anderson and the Brothers Coen (I am a huge fan of both the Coens and PT). I am thinking screenplay to Anderson and directing to Ethan and Joel.

DIRECTING
Winner: JOEL AND ETHAN COHEN, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
Great movie. Great filmmakers. They have the edge and the hearts of the Academy.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Winner: RATATOUILLE
Hands down winner. Enough said!

BEST PICTURE
Winner: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
It has the momentum and is a fine film. Plus, more people saw it then saw THERE WILL BE BLOOD and MICHAEL CLAYTON might not be considered serious enough.

Look for my recap of tonight's festivities in a few days. Enjoy! O and I will.

No comments: